[cabfpub] Ballot 185 - Limiting the Lifetime of Certificates

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Feb 13 12:05:43 MST 2017

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Dean Coclin via Public <
public at cabforum.org> wrote:

> Minor changes to ballots have traditionally been allowed in the forum.
> "Minor" has been left to the discretion of the ballot producer/endorsers
> but we've seldom seen controversy over that.

It seems that there's general agreement that postponing the effective date
represents a 'minor' change, for purposes of Ballot formation, and does not
require restarting the discussion and/or voting periods. To that end, I
will repost to the public list a revised form which takes into Gerv's
remarks about what an appropriate _Baseline_ requirement is. Recognizing
that such proposals are inherently a baseline, rather than best practice,
and recognizing that different browsers / root stores may have more
stringent security requirements, it doesn't undermine the Ballot to
acknowledge that, but neither should it be seen as an endorsement that this
is the 'best practice' timeframe for deployment.