[cabfpub] [EXTERNAL] EV 11.2.1 Private Organization registration number or date

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Thu Aug 31 20:21:05 UTC 2017

There is a well-established legal doctrine of “Impossibility”, which excuses performance of a requirement under certain limited conditions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossibility

In limited cases, it seems that doctrine could apply to the BRs.

Here, we assumed every jurisdiction would provide a registration number or date when passing the EVGL rule, but we were incorrect.  It seems that substitute performance by a CA would fulfill the spirit and purpose of the EVGL rule (where absolute compliance is impossible), which doesn’t bother me.  In the meantime, we should also amend the EVGL to allow for this case (where there is no registration number or date).