[cabfpub] [EXTERNAL] EV 11.2.1 Private Organization registration number or date

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Aug 31 19:25:37 UTC 2017

Kirk, I don't believe your answer is compliant with the text as written.
I'm also somewhat nervous about the argument being put forward - "they
can't do the impossible" - because it creates an incentive for the CA to
declare something is 'impossible' and issue anyways. For example, if a CA
determined it was "impossible" to comply with 3.2.2.4 (for example, they
"couldn't" find a lawyer to write a domain authorization document, they
"couldn't" modify a record on the domain, their corporate policies "don't"
let them host a file, etc), that doesn't mean they get to issue the cert.

As the text has it as a SHALL, I don't think there can be a reasonable
argument made to suggest it's valid to issue. That's not to say we can't or
shouldn't revisit, but that's also not to say it's permitted now.

I think if we did want to go down that route of downgrading, then I think
like 9.16.3, the jurisdictions that provide neither (such as what Rich has
raised) should be publicly documented through the CA/Browser Forum. After
all, it may simply be that the CA made a mistake in determining that it was
"impossible" - and this helps detect and correct that - or it may be that
it is truly impossible, and we can maintain such a list of exceptions in a
public and shared way, to ensure consistency.