[cabfpub] Ballot 190: Domain Validation

Peter Bowen pzb at amzn.com
Thu Apr 13 15:10:00 MST 2017

Kirk,

What Ryan is asking for, if I understand it correctly, is that the BRs fully document the requirements when read only with the items they normatively reference.  There should be no need to review ballots, mailing lists messages, meeting minutes, or other items to interpret the BRs and to determine whether something is in compliance with the BRs.

To handle the proposed section 2, we simply need to amend the BRs to explain what is required of a CA.  For example, if I understand the proposal correctly, we might consider the following BR changes:

In section 4.2.1, in the third paragraph, replace “provided” with “described”.

In section 7.1.4.2, replace the last sentence (which currently reads " CAs SHALL NOT include a Domain Name or IP Address in a Subject attribute
except as specified in Sections 3.2.2.4 or 3.2.2.5.”) with something like:

“CAs MUST NOT include Domain Name or IP Address in a Subject Attribute unless it has been verified using a procedure covered in section 3.2.2.4 or 3.2.2.5 of the Baseline Requirements that were in effect at the time of verification,  Such verification MUST have occurred no more than 39 months prior to certificate issuance if the issuance occurs before 1 March 2018.  Such verification MUST have occurred no more than 825 days prior to certificate issuance if the issuance occurs on or after 1 March 2018.”

I think that matches your intent.

Thanks,
Peter