[cabfpub] IPR policy and authorial intent

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Tue Nov 8 18:21:28 UTC 2016

On 08/11/16 18:10, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> Can you point me to the ballot or bylaw that guarantees this? Otherwise,
> you're taking a gamble that everyone will behave rationally - which,
> from a legal perspective, is like playing Russian Roulette with 6
> bullets in the chamber.

Well, if you vote No on a ballot, and I do, there's a fairly reasonable
chance it'll fail. If we can get Jody on board with this plan, it's a
certainty. So if others act irrationally, we can just agree publicly (in
writing if necessary) that we won't support any further ballots beyond
those necessary to fix the IPR situation for the current documents, and
if people propose them anyway, companies can then ignore the "fishing"
IPR reviews.

But I'm pretty sure it won't come to that.