[cabfpub] Ballot process ordering

Rich Smith richard.smith at comodo.com
Fri Nov 4 15:54:00 UTC 2016

Ryan,
I agree with your misgivings regarding Position 1 in general. However,
for reasons I stated on the management group, and will re-state here for
the public, I don't believe those misgivings apply to the current
ballots 180-182.  To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing
contained in these three ballots which has not already been voted on and
passed by the proper voting methods contained in the Bylaws.

I also don't think the concern about concurrently running ballots is
valid in this instance because essentially, as far as I am aware, if we
take each of the 3 ballots to represent the whole finalized version of
the Final Guidelines contained w/in them, ballot 180 is a subset of
ballot 181, which is a subset of ballot 182.  That being the case there
really is no extra work load for the members patent teams in this
instance.  Do the review on ballot 182 and you've covered 180 and 181 in
the process.

If I'm wrong regarding ballot content in my above assumptions, please
correct me, but that is my understanding of these 3 ballots at this point.

In regard to your overall points about the process in general, I am
largely in full agreement with you, and think that Position 2 is the
best, though I do think we need to make some tweeks to the Bylaws, and
possibly to the IPR Policy in order to address some legitimate concerns
which Virginia and the other proponents of Position 1 have brought up.
I'll outline my position on that in another message. However, for
ballots 180-182, due to their unique nature, IMO the concerns of both
positions have been addressed, so we should move forward with these
ballots in order to get back to an even keel in terms of having
finalized work product which is fully compliant with our current Bylaws
and IPR Policy.

-Rich