[cabfpub] Misissuance of certificates

Peter Bowen pzb at amzn.com
Thu Jan 28 04:42:03 UTC 2016

Dean,

I don’t think that this is much different than other things found in the current BRs.  For example, there is no definition for misuse in the BRs nor consensus on the meaning of “misuse”, yet there is a mandatory requirement on CAs: "The CA SHALL revoke a Certificate within 24 hours if […] [t]he CA obtains evidence that the Certificate was misused”.

Additionally, given that every CA has a yearly audit to assure compliance with the BRs, I would assume CAs and auditors already have a good understanding of what it means to violate the BRs.

Do you expect that auditors are finding violations but not reporting them?

Thanks,
Peter