[cabfpub] Misissuance of certificates

Dean Coclin Dean_Coclin at symantec.com
Thu Jan 28 03:35:31 UTC 2016

I think we still need to refine mis-issuance as defined below. It currently
presents a very onerous obligation that seems unwarranted in some cases. Let
me give an example:

Suppose my hypothetical business, "Dean's Wine Shop", submits a CSR with the
name mistyped as "Dean's WineShop". The CA receives the CSR, doesn't catch
the typo, and issues the certificate. Now I get it back, realize I made a
typo and inform the CA. The CA fixes it and immediately reissues the
certificate. Does this disclosure requirement suddenly kick in?  Did the CA
"mis-issue" the certificate?  I fail to see how the public is helped by this
information (unless we are turning this into some Consumer Reports rating to
show how many times CAs make typos).

Perhaps I'm missing something and I'm happy to be enlightened.

Thanks
Dean