[cabfpub] Ballot 150 - OIDs - CHANGE TO VOTING PERIOD (starts tomorrow)

N. Atilla Biler atilla.biler at turktrust.com.tr
Fri Sep 4 09:39:26 UTC 2015

So, to clarify for everyone, could the Forum chair or vice-chair answer the following question:


Will the voting end or begin at 2200 UTC on Friday, September 4, 2015?


Without the answer, we will not be able to cast a valid vote if this ambiguity sustains…




-----Original Message-----
From: public-bounces at cabforum.org [mailto:public-bounces at cabforum.org] On Behalf Of Gervase Markham
Sent: 4 Eylül 2015 Cuma 11:45
To: kirk_hall at trendmicro.com; Ryan Sleevi <sleevi at google.com>
Cc: CABFPub (public at cabforum.org) <public at cabforum.org>
Subject: Re: [cabfpub] Ballot 150 - OIDs - CHANGE TO VOTING PERIOD (starts tomorrow)


On 03/09/15 20:59,  <mailto:kirk_hall at trendmicro.com> kirk_hall at trendmicro.com wrote:

> After looking at Bylaw 2.2, I’m not sure I agree with your 

> interpretation.  Bylaw 2.2(c) says the review period must be “at least”

> seven days, and voting must then be seven days.  By amending the 

> ballot, all we have done is extended the review period from seven days 

> to 14 days, followed by a seven day voting period.


> Isn’t our action consistent with the Bylaws?


Only if you retroactively take 6 days which people thought was a voting period, and redesignate them as "review period".


The Bylaws do not state that the length of the review period must be fixed before it begins. Therefore, I think it is not inconsistent with the Bylaws to extend the review period of a ballot any number of times and for any length, as long as the review period is still going on and the voting period has not started. And we have done this in the past.


However, once the voting period begins, I don't think the Bylaws allow you to un-begin it and go back to the review period. It also doesn't talk about withdrawing ballots; but a ballot in the review period can be effectively withdrawn by setting an infinite review period. However, one on which voting has begun cannot be withdrawn. (This would lead to the possibility of someone proposing a vote on something and then withdrawing it when it looked like it wasn't going their way, to avoid the Forum taking a position.)


So I think the right course of action is to proceed with the ballot, let it pass or fail, and if it fails due to lack of quorum, reintroduce it.


It also strikes me that if everyone who was on the call had instead decided to go away and vote, then we would have probably achieved quorum...


Mozilla ABSTAINS, by the way, in case we do decide to try and all vote today.




Public mailing list

 <mailto:Public at cabforum.org> Public at cabforum.org

 <https://cabforum.org/mailman/listinfo/public> https://cabforum.org/mailman/listinfo/public

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.cabforum.org/pipermail/public/attachments/20150904/4566a3af/attachment-0003.html>

More information about the Public mailing list