[cabfpub] The Shappening: freestart collisions for SHA-1 (was Re: Ballot 152 - Issuance of SHA-1 certificates through 2016)

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Thu Oct 8 10:16:37 UTC 2015

Is Ballot 152 dead yet?

https://sites.google.com/site/itstheshappening/

"Our recommendations

We recommend that SHA-1 based signatures should be marked as unsafe much
sooner than prescribed by current international policy. Even though
freestart collisions do not directly lead to actual collisions for
SHA-1, in our case, the experimental data we obtained in the process
enable significantly more accurate projections on the real-world cost of
actual collisions for SHA-1, compared to previous projections.
Concretely, we estimate the SHA-1 collision cost today (i.e., Fall 2015)
between 75K$ and 120K$ renting Amazon EC2 cloud computing over a few
months. By contrast, security expert Bruce Schneier previously projected
the SHA-1 collision cost to be ~173K$ by 2018. Note that he deems this
to be within the resources of a criminal syndicate. Large corporations
and governments may possess even greater resources and may not require
Amazon EC2. Microsoft, Google and Mozilla have all announced that their
respective browsers will stop accepting SHA-1 based SSL certificates by
2017 (and that SHA-1-based certificates should not be issued after
2015). In conclusion, our estimates imply SHA-1 collisions to be now
(Fall 2015) within the resources of criminal syndicates, two years
earlier than previously expected and one year before SHA-1 will be
marked as unsafe in modern Internet browsers. This motivates our
recommendations for industry standard SHA-1 to be retracted as soon as
possible. With our new cost projections in mind, we strongly and
urgently recommend against a recent proposal to extend the issuance of
SHA-1 certificates with a year in the CAB/forum (discussion closes
October 9 2015, vote closes October 16)."

On 06/10/15 16:23, Dean Coclin wrote:
> Yes, Ryan is correct. Nonetheless, I am going to add it to the agenda
> for this week’s meeting.
>

> Dean

Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist
COMODO - Creating Trust Online
Office Tel: +44.(0)1274.730505
Office Fax: +44.(0)1274.730909
www.comodo.com

COMODO CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
   3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
   Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender by replying to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to
this email may be monitored by COMODO for operational or business
reasons. Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free
from viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is
requested to use their own virus checking software.