[cabfpub] FW: Bylaw update proposal

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Thu Mar 26 22:57:34 UTC 2015

The issue is simply this:

1.  No public CA can have a root in the browsers today without two audits – WebTrust and (now) BR WebTrust (or ETSI equivalent).  When the Bylaws were adopted, only one audit was required – but one audit will no longer get you in the browser root stores – you can no longer be considered a public CA.

2.  We have always accommodated companies with sub-CAs as members so long as they have their own WebTrust (or ETSI equivalent) audit.  That won’t change, except now they must have both required audits.  (I’m not sure we have any members in this category today.)

3.  I don’t think there is any appetite to accept as members companies with only their own MPKI / EPKI who only issue certs to themselves and their subsidiaries and affiliates, and I don’t think any company in this position is interested in joining.  They are not a public CA issuing certs to others.

I’m afraid we are overthinking this – this began when we recognized that our Bylaws fail to mention the second type of audit now required to get your roots in the browser.  It’s only an update, not any change in the idea of who could be a CA member of the Forum.