[cabfpub] Copyright license on Guidelines and Requirements

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Sat Mar 7 20:13:30 UTC 2015

On 07/03/15 19:51, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
>> "Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire document is
>> permitted in any medium without royalty, provided this notice is
>> preserved"
>>
>> This would, on its face, appear to not allow incorporation of the
>> requirements into other documents, such as the Certificate Policies of
>> individual CAs.  Is this the intent of the statement?  If so, how do
>> CAs who incorporate the requirements into their CP get a license to do
>> so?

This was the original policy when the document was written. However, the
CAB Forum IPR policy was changed precisely to solve this problem. The
IPR policy reads:

"Each CAB Forum Participant, on behalf of itself and its Affiliates,
grants ... (2) upon release of the Final Guideline or Final Maintenance
Guidelines a license to all, worldwide, whether or not they are CAB
Forum Participants to reproduce, distribute, make derivative works and
display such Final Guidelines or Final Maintenance Guidelines."

Every member of the CAB Forum has signed this IPR policy. We should
update the prologue of each of our documents to reflect the new
situation. (I already requested this edit for the new Code Signing
document.)