[cabfpub] .onion and .exit

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Oct 17 02:17:37 MST 2014

On 16/10/14 18:01, Jeremy Rowley wrote:
> I asked a couple of companies who have requested these types of certs
> about this and here is one reason for wanting a cert:

It looks like the real issue here is proving real-world ownership and
control of .onion addresses, either by tying them to an existing
real-world website (DV with multiple SANs) or an identity (EV).

In the EV case, the UI would show the tied identity, but not in the DV
case. Although the Tor Browser Bundle could be updated to do something
smart - if there's a .onion address, instead show the DNS name from the
first non-onion SAN, or something.

(You may remember a while back I suggested that internal server name
certs should have at least one globally-resolvable name in, and that
browsers should display that instead, even if the internal name was
used. This is a similar idea.)