[cabfpub] .onion and .exit

Adam Langley agl at google.com
Thu Oct 16 11:26:37 MST 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker
<philliph at comodo.com> wrote:
> So what is to stop us doing the following:
>
> Applicant requests 3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion.arpa
> Tor browser does the necessary to recognize 3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion as 3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion.arpa
>
> Getting IANA to reserve space in the arpa TLD is a simple IETF administrative action.

I imagine that the customer wouldn't be very happy. They couldn't then
distribute HTTPS versions of their onion URL because it would throw
warnings until all browsers were upgraded.

On the other hand, issuing names outside of the ICANN space isn't a
small step either and .onion isn't one of the reserved TLDs (section
2.2.1.2.1 of the ICANN gTLD handbook).

Perhaps Tor users are always using the Tor Browser Bundle anyway (the
modified Firefox that Tor distributes), in which case getting a
browser update is no problem. I think it's another point for Tor folks
to opine on.

Cheers

AGL