[cabfpub] downgrade DV UI RE: OIDs for DV and OV

Eddy Nigg eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Wed Nov 5 23:32:44 UTC 2014

On 11/05/2014 04:48 PM, Jeremy Rowley wrote:
> That wasn't the point of creating EV. From the beginning, EV was intended to reach only the largest companies on the internet.  It was designed at the request of Microsoft and banks to be a premiere indicator of identity.  EV was never intended to impact OV issuance.

Maybe we should acknowledge here that CAs working in the field of
verification according to different criterion/policies/capabilities have
a completely different view of the things than say browser vendors (not
speaking about users thereof). It's natural that CAs see it differently
since this is their main product, for browsers SSL is just a small
(though important) aspect of their product.

I believe it wouldn't hurt to provide a more advanced UI for the more
knowledgeable users without confusing the casual user who doesn't
care/know what it's for anyway. This could be probably done with the UI
that is one click away, whereas the regular UI (address bar) wouldn't
change.

But that's just food for thought...

--
Regards