[cabfpub] downgrade DV UI RE: OIDs for DV and OV

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Wed Nov 5 14:01:17 UTC 2014

On 05/11/14 13:28, Sigbjørn Vik wrote:
> On 04-Nov-14 22:32, Eddy Nigg wrote:
>>
>> On 11/04/2014 03:09 PM, Richard Wang wrote:
>>>
>>> *How about display “domain ownership verified” instead of “Identity
>>> verified”*
>>
>> If at all it should be clearly "domain control validated" - that's what
>> it is, not more and also not less.
>
> UI is hard, if you have issues with the particular UI of a particular
> browser, you should file a bug report with that browser. However, in
> this case, I believe "Identity verified" is correct", and that "domain
> control validated" is incomprehensible incorrect gibberish :P

So ISTM that there's no consensus on what "Identity", "domain ownership"
and "domain control" actually mean or (perhaps more importantly) what
users will think they mean.

How about neatly sidestepping the issue by dropping these words from
primary chrome?

In other words, I'm suggesting that Chrome could say...

http://www.no-cert.com
www.no-cert.com
Not verified

https://www.untrusted-cert.com
www.untrusted-cert.com
Not verified

https://www.dv-cert.com
www.dv-cert.com
Verified

https://www.ov-cert.com
www.ov-cert.com
Verified

https://www.ev-cert.com
Company Name
Verified

Less is more.  :-)

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist

COMODO CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
   3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
   Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender by replying to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to
this email may be monitored by COMODO for operational or business
reasons. Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free
from viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is
requested to use their own virus checking software.