[cabfpub] (Eventually) requiring id-kpServerAuth for all certs in the chain?

Eddy Nigg eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Thu Nov 13 15:07:53 MST 2014

On 11/13/2014 10:53 PM, Ryan Sleevi wrote:

> Because it's widely implemented in a variety of libraries and provides
> immediate security benefits for clients, and immediate clarifications
> for CAs about in scope vs out of scope, and doesn't conflict with any
> of the language in RFC 5280 - which, while was accurate at the time it
> was written ("In general, this doesn't appear in CA certs"), is NOT a
> prohibition against it, just an observation.

Yes, but....there is a big BUT that the true meaning of an EKU in a CA
certificate (for that matter in any certificate) will define how such a
certificate can be used. The meaning of id-kpServerAuth is clearly
defined and it's not for the suggested use in CA certificates as
currently proposed.

Just want to set the record strait as how I read it.

--
Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO