[cabfpub] (Eventually) requiring id-kpServerAuth for all certs in the chain?

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Wed Nov 5 10:28:45 MST 2014

Gerv, I'm slow on this argument, but I'm trying to figure out why markers in intermediates are important.

Under the current scheme, it seems the trusted status of the root is what's important, not the status of intermediates.  CAs must get WebTrust/ ETSI audits covering their operations from those roots to be trusted and included in the browser root store.  The audits are supposed to cover all (SSL) operations from that root.  Ultimately, it's a binary yes/no decision on whether to keep the root in the root store based on audit results, plus compliance with other root program requirements.  I suppose rogue intermediates from the roots can also be explicitly untrusted by browsers if needed.

What are the objectives of the proposals to put markers (EKUs or OIDs) in intermediates?  Is it not possible to meet those objectives using the current system of trusted root / audit of all (SSL) operations from that root?

Just curious.