[cabfpub] Ballot 121 (insurance)

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri May 30 11:40:36 MST 2014

I talked to our lawyer this morning. Mozilla is now willing to support
the proposal in Ballot 121 (removal of the insurance requirement from
the EV Guidelines).

We feel that this requirement provides no significant protection in
practice for either users, for whom CAs can limit liability to $2000
anyway, or for browsers, for whom clause 18.2 which indemnifies them is
much more relevant.

We encourage other CAs and browsers to support this ballot also, and let
the CAs put the $N,000 saved towards making their products better and/or
cheaper for users.