[cabfpub] Ballot 142 - Elimination of EV Insurance Requirement

Robin Alden robin at comodo.com
Wed Dec 3 18:24:57 UTC 2014

I think Gerv is entitled to have his ballot on insurance run in
isolation if that's the way he wants it, but I see the existing
insurance requirements as a pragmatic safeguard to ensure that a CA is
well run and that it is a going concern which is likely to be about long
enough to manage the lifecycle of the certificates it issues through to
their expiry (or later, for code-signing).

I think Gerv has stuck his neck out with his ballot which really does
crystalize down to the issue of whether or not you consider the
insurance requirement to be a 'pointless barrier to entry'.

I don't consider the insurance requirement to be a 'pointless barrier to
entry'.

I can see that the insurance requirement has a positive effect of
protecting the operation of a CA in a financial way from a number of
events that could befall it.

That protection filters through as a benefit to the subscribers and
relying parties because they don't have to deal with a CA dropping off
its perch because it finds itself unable to replace a fire-damaged
server rack or unable to meet a financial claim made against it.

If you are running a CA you are required to have policies and procedures
for business continuity and having insurance of some sort in there is
low-hanging fruit for that aspect of running any business.

Could that protection be better? - Quite probably.

Is there something better than insurance that could provide some
guarantee of a CA being able to continue to operate and to continue to
provide service to its subscribers and relying parties? - Quite
possibly.

But a ballot to rip out insurance and replace it with nothing seems like
a poor option to me compared with a ballot to replace an insurance
requirement which some CAs find expensive and inconvenient with another
measures or set of measures that might provide better protection or even
provide the same protection at less cost or effort.

If you're going to run a CA you will be running a business which has
costs and liabilities and should be able to bear the financial
responsibility  and be able to handle the associated risks which might
otherwise cause you to fail to meet the practical standards required to
continue in operation.  That holds true even if you choose not to charge
for the provision of end entity certificates.

Regards
Robin