[cabfpub] CABF Website Revisions

Ben Wilson ben at digicert.com
Wed Sep 4 15:18:07 UTC 2013

All,

A rough outline of the new CAB Forum website is now up on the WordPress area
of the website (cabforum.org/wordpress).  For those of you unfamiliar with
WordPress, it has several components.  Of main importance are: "pages",
"posts", and "uploads" to the Media Library (for PDFs, images, docs, etc.).
Although WordPress has a "comments" feature, I have disabled it because it
is usually just a magnet for spam.

Navigation for "pages" is structured with a menu that groups content into
"Governance", "Extended Validation", "Baseline Requirements", "Current Work"
(working groups), and several other topics.  "Posts" will be used for
publicizing final ballots, final minutes, and other announcements.  This
allows them to be sorted chronologically.  I have almost completed uploading
the ballots, and today I will upload the minutes from February 2012 through
to the present. (We can decide at a later point whether we want to add the
minutes of pre-2012 meetings for historic purposes.)   Past versions of the
EV Guidelines and Baseline Requirements will be uploaded as files into the
Media Library.  These can be hyperlinked from "previous versions pages" for
both the EV Guidelines and the Baseline Requirements.  Current versions will
be linked from the main subject page for each of them.

As previously noted, a key component of the website that needs more work is
the Home page--we need it to have a nice look and feel, etc.  We'll also
have to make sure that the page template has a navigation feature that takes
people back to the home page from anywhere on the website.

The current WP Theme places the sidebar at the bottom of the page.  The
sidebar has widgets for "Search" - to search the website, "Recent Posts" -
for news announcements, "Past Proceedings" for chronological browsing older
posts as explained above, and "By Category" for browsing posts by category.
We might be able to move this sidebar to top or to one of the sides, if
desired.  We could also add more widgets if anyone feels strongly in favor
of one in particular.

I would like responsibility for the maintenance of the website to be openly
and fairly distributed among all members desiring access, with the
understanding that usernames and passwords will be kept secure and that care
will be taken to ensure quality control.   On tomorrow's call I would like
to discuss whether or how this should be handled --- keeping in mind that
any procedural steps for maintenance should be streamlined and efficient
while minimizing the potential consternation of other members.

Before the meeting tomorrow if anyone has any suggestions or would like to
work on the site please let me know.

Thanks,

Ben