[cabfpub] Agenda Items for Next Call

Erwann Abalea erwann.abalea at keynectis.com
Thu Nov 21 11:01:47 MST 2013

Bonjour Iñigo,

Are you proposing to change the CABF membership rules to have the forum
open to CAs that don't produce certificates defined by the forum and
used by browsers? Being in the process for a browser inclusion doesn't
imply that the process will succeed.

More specifically on the French TSL (easier for me to read):

  * the TSL is available at
    http://references.modernisation.gouv.fr/sites/default/files/TSL-FR.xml
  * it references https://references.modernisation.gouv.fr/fr and
    https://references.modernisation.gouv.fr/en for scheme information
  * those texts are not equivalent; the French one states that only
    RGS-certified are acceptable, the English one accepts CSP issuing
    non Qualified certificates without listing the acceptable approval
    schemes
  * the TSL contains a legal notice: "/The applicable legal framework
    for the present TSL implementation of the Trusted List of
    supervised/accredited Certification Service Providers for FRANCE is
    the Directive 1999/93/EC of the European Parliament and of the
    Council of 13 December 1999 on a Community framework for electronic
    signatures and its implementation in FRANCE laws. Its applicable
    legal framework under FRANCE laws is the ordinance 2005-1516 and the
    General Security Frame(RGS) decree/" again refering to the RGS scheme

Ok, maybe the French TSL scheme is particularly not clear.

Let's have a look at the Spanish one, there's more people in it. But it
also contains 4 CA certificates for 3 different entities with a 1024bits
RSA key, to deliver Qualified certificates. Should these entities be
accepted as CABF members? Should we trust the government agency
responsible for TSL emission?

Let's look at the German one. It's not XML-signed, but comes as a zip
file containing the XML file, a detached timestamp, and the TSC. Thus
this list isn't authenticated, and was downloaded from a cleartext link.
This TSL contains a lot of CAs, the large majority of them have expired,
maybe 40% of them have 1024bits keys. Same questions.

This isn't exhaustive.
<https://references.modernisation.gouv.fr/en>

--
Erwann ABALEA