[cabfpub] Proposed addition to BRs allowing issuance of <2048

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Jun 14 14:32:19 UTC 2013

On 14/06/13 15:27, Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) wrote:
> Just for the record, are RSA keys with 1024 bit somehow stronger
> when not used on the web?

No. But:

a) the CAB Forum's jurisdiction has limits. The question is: is this
case inside or outside them?

b) We are eliminating 1024 because we don't know when an attack will
become feasible - but it's not feasible yet. So at the moment, they are
strong enough both on _and_ off the web.

c) If someone ever managed to get together the power to attack a
1024-bit cert, what would they pick? A root? An intermediate? Or the
poxy cert of some random PIN entry device? Seems like an incredibly
expensive way of stealing credit card numbers, which are available for a
few cents each at any darknet forum.