[cabfpub] CAB Forum Document Versioning

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Thu Jan 31 11:02:29 UTC 2013

On 30/01/13 18:01, Jeremy Rowley wrote:
> Let me rephrase my previous rationale in another way: Although an
> audit is necessary to prove compliance to the browser, I do not think
> an audit is required for CAB Forum guidelines to effectively improve
> the industry.  I think the baseline requirements have already had a
> positive effect on our industry, despite the lack of an audit.  Since
> guidelines initiate progress within our industry when adopted, I'm
> not in favor of tying the effective date of documents to the date
> when audit criteria are made available.

I agree. There are various dates:

1) Standard adoption date - when a particular version of the standard
   is finalized

2) Effective date - the date which CAB Forum recommends to browsers
   that they choose as their "actual effective date" (see below)

3) Actual effective date (root program specific) - the date by which
   root programs decide to require compliance to the standard

4) Audit standards publication date - the date a new version of the
   audit standards are issued

5) Actual effective audit date (root program specific) - the date after
   which root programs require use of the new audit standards

[3) and 5) are not the same; Mozilla has required adherence to the BRs
before the audit standards have arrived, acknowledging that there are
_some_ things in there that we have no good way of checking.]

1) and 2) are up to the CAB Forum
3) and 5) are up to each individual root program
4) is up to the audit standards groups

Each date is useful.