[cabfpub] New proposed text for BR 1.1 issues 15 and 29

Yngve N. Pettersen (Developer Opera Software ASA) yngve at opera.com
Fri Sep 28 20:38:42 UTC 2012

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 18:08:57 +0200, Hill, Brad <bhill at paypal-inc.com>
wrote:

> Well, if the CABF members have noticed anything about me, it's that I
> perhaps am not cautious enough about peeing on fences that might be
> electrified.  But even I can smell the ozone and see the charred bits of
> fur stuck to this one.
>
> If the CAs want to "draw a line in the sand" with the browsers and
> registrars on IDNA2008, that's your prerogative, but don't tell them I
> told you to it.
>
> But maybe it's not a big issue yet.  Does anyone have a convenient copy
> of the SSLObservatory data instantiated? Or perhaps Yngve can tell us
> based on his data how many certificates are out there today for
> non-ASCII names?

Might be able to do that, but not right now.

> I'd also like to know, Yngve (and other browsers) how you handle
> punycode in certificates, since you mentioned that at the face-to-face.
> Do we need to add additional requirements about reverse-encoding
> punycode DNSNames to U-labels and applying the proposed tests?

Opera compares A-labels; that is the standard specified way of comparing
U-labels (covert both to A-labels); incoming A-labels will be converted to
U-label and back to A-label to make sure they are correct. That is, the
validated A-Label name in the certificate must match the A-label DNS name
we are connecting to.

Regarding wildcards, "xn--foo*" is not allowed.

--
Sincerely,
Yngve N. Pettersen
Senior Developer		     Email: yngve at opera.com
Opera Software ASA                   http://www.opera.com/
Phone:  +47 96 90 41 51              Fax:    +47 23 69 24 01