[cabfpub] New proposed text for BR 1.1 issues 15 and 29

Rich Smith richard.smith at comodo.com
Fri Sep 28 20:31:13 UTC 2012

Rob can probably better answer how we deal with them.  I know we do parse
the xn--xxxxxxx into readable form and stop them all for human review so
that we can keep an eye out for blatant attack domains, but the technical
end of it is not my forte.  I'm just concerned that whoever came up with the
two different standards already screwed up by not make 2008 backward
compatible w/2003, and it seems that 2003 has some serious flaws, so it
seems that someone ought to step in now and force the issue before there are
wide spread problems.  It also seems to me that CAs are in a position to do
that if we all simply refuse to work with 2003.  That being said, as I have
stated, I'm not at all well versed in this, so I may be overstating the case
as far as it really being a problem.

It would also be beneficial to have some idea of which version the
registries who handle these have implemented against.  If 90% are already
2008 compliant then that would bolster the argument for a line in the sand
and just make the stragglers update.

-Rich