[cabfpub] Revised document for Ballot 89 - Adopt Requirements for the Processing of EV SSL Certificates v.2

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Wed Oct 17 13:13:19 MST 2012

On 10/17/2012 02:00 PM, From Robin Alden:
> That might prompt the question - 'Who says it's illegal?'.
> And there, I guess, we come to a gap because although Comodo's CPS cites English Law we do not look to the English Legal system to make judgement before we revoke a certificate for 'illegality' - so from an outsider's point of view our standard is ultimately, I suppose, arbitrary.

I agree - we've revoked certificates upon requests from reputed
organizations which provided supporting evidence, specially in relation
to malware injections and similar stuff. We rely on other mechanisms
such as the BR provisions in order to prevent issuance for sites that
are or were immediately affected by similar activities at their sites
(usually due to a flaw at their software).

And then we didn't revoke certain certificates with alleged suspicious
activities at their sites where no such evidence was provided and no
request from law enforcements or similar authorities were made. Also
illegal activities can be very different from country to country (where
sharing a nude picture could a criminal offense).

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO
	StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
XMPP: 	startcom at startcom.org <xmpp:startcom at startcom.org>