[cabfpub] Edited CA-Browser Forum Bylaws (v3)

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Mon Nov 5 11:07:41 MST 2012

I have now added a number of suggested edits to the previous Trend Micro document "Proposed CA-Browser Forum Bylaws (v1)", which I posted on October 15.

Ben posted a "(v2)" version of the Bylaws containing his suggested edits, so to avoid confusion I have labeled Trend Micro's new version "Proposed CA-Browser Forum Bylaws (v3) Trend Micro 5 Nov 2012."

As I indicated in yesterday's email, I decided it would be inappropriate (1) to make significant changes to existing Forum rules that were not included in the Trend Micro governance proposal we voted on, or (2) to add totally new rules that were not included in the Trend Micro governance proposal we voted on.  I did accept a number of suggested edits to improve new provisions that were part of the Trend Micro governance proposal that was approved by the Forum.  All other proposed edits can be put forward by later ballot if and when the Bylaws are adopted.

All the changes are shown in Showing Changes mode with my explanations in comments.  I also attach a clean version that includes all the edits.

If you see problems with the language as edited, please let me know.  I will wait to put forward the final proposed version of the Bylaws for discussion and a vote until after our Forum call this Thursday.

There will clearly be some additional provisions we should add to the Bylaws if they are adopted, including more details of how Interested Parties participate in new Working Groups (e.g., the need for a separate IPR for Interested Parties that is focused on their Working Group participation only, allowing an MOU for those standards bodies that are not allowed to sign an IPR agreement with the Forum, etc.), coming up with general rules for admitting Observers to the Forum, and dealing with the other proposed edits that I did not include in this version 3.  I plan to work with the most active commenters - chiefly Ben and Jeremy (although others are welcome) - to bring forward proposed Bylaws amendments in later weeks if the Bylaws are adopted.

Kirk R. Hall
Operations Director, Trust Services
Trend Micro
+1.503.243.5405