[cabfpub] 17.5 Audit of Delegated Functions

Steve Roylance steve.roylance at globalsign.com
Sat Dec 22 14:38:55 UTC 2012

Hi Rick,

I'd agree with you if a CA only placed dNSNames or rfc822Names into the
permitted constraints but adding directoryNames as Rob said, means that
audits are not required as the CA has already done the work to close the
holes.

e.g.
Permitted Subtrees =
> dnsNames
> example.com
> rfc822names
> example.com
> directoryName
> O=Example Inc
> L= Locality
> S= State
> C=Country

I don't think you were in the Forum when we met in Paris and discussed the
best way to cover all the possibilities of how a certificate could be issued
and therefore mis issued.  Please see attached PPT which shows these.  Each
case was later reflected in Base Requirements 1.0.  Admittedly we didn't
pare this down further into dNSNames and directoryNames but that would have
been most peoples understanding to remove many of the loop holes in letting
third parties have a hand in validation processes.

I'm happy to work with you to ensure there's language in the BRs to make
sure this is clear.

Oh and if anyone wants anything explaining in my diagrams (As they may be a
little confusing the first time around) then let me know.

Happy holidays!!

Steve