[cabfpub] [cabfman] Ballot [84] - ISO 3166-1 User-assigned codes - Revised

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Fri Aug 3 16:25:53 UTC 2012

On 08/03/2012 06:01 PM, From Rich Smith:

> That seems a reasonable compromise to me.  We then use the
> State/Province field to indicate the full country name.  I'd like to
> get feedback from Bill and Jeremy since they were kind enough to help
> draft and endorse this motion, but I'm willing to go along with this.

If yes, would you like to work out with me another ballot? I'd propose
that for new and/or disputed territories where the country definition
applies according to the guidelines but no official country code as been
defined, the CA SHALL use the special XX country code. The CA MUST use
the new country code when one has been defined by ISO and revoke/issue
new certificates for those territories within one year.

This will allow the browser vendors to either use XX (which would happen
automatically with the current implementations) or use the state or
locality field instead for the UI at their discretion.

> This would create a problem because we've now moved the country name
> up a level.  Should we just leave off the actual state/province at
> that point and put only city?

I'd say yes, this should be allowed under those circumstances, in case
XX was used at the country code.

> What about if the organization is registered at the state/province
> level?  Do we put state/province in the city/locality field?  Put
> city/locality AND state/province together in the city/locality field?

For a situation like Kosovo I'd propose C = XX, ST = Kosovo, L = Pristina

> Also, now that I've posted the ballot to the public list, I'd like to
> shift this discussion there as well, if there are no objections.

No objection, replying to both.

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO
	StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>