[cabfcert_policy] CA vs. CAO

Dimitris Zacharopoulos jimmy at it.auth.gr
Mon Nov 21 14:11:03 MST 2016

First of all, sorry I missed the last call. This topic was discussed in
previous F2F meetings and on several occasions. I believe that nobody
wants to go over changing every document that has the term "CA" and
change it to "CAO". If we are to do such a big change, I would vote to
use the term "Trust Service Provider - TSP" in order to align with the
European model.

The majority of the CAs and auditors have linked the term "CA" with an
"organization". That's why it was agreed (on past meetings) that we will
not try to change the meaning of the term "CA" to mean anything else but
that of an organization. Instead, we would try to use this term
consistently (to refer to an organization) and introduce changes to the
other instances to mean something else. That would introduce fewer
changes in the BRs and EV guidelines.

Dimitris.