[cabf_netsec] NCSSR Restructuring: NIST Cybersecurity Framework Core

Ben Wilson benwilsonusa at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 11:53:35 MST 2020

I like the coverage of ETSI TR 103 305-1, but the outline (CSC1 to CSC20)
might not allow for placeholders in the middle, i.e., it isn't very
extensible.  I like NIST's use of lettered-groups/acronyms, which organize
the security functionalities and control categories (see below).   Also, I
know I'm being a little picky, but some of the CSCs aren't written with an
active verb -- e.g. CSCs 4, 10, 13, 14, and 15 say, "The processes and
tools used to ...."

FUNCTION

Identify (ID)

Asset Management (ID.AM)

Business Environment (ID.BE)

Governance (ID.GV)

Risk Assessment (ID.RA)

Risk Management Strategy (ID.RM)

Supply Chain Risk Management (ID.SC)

Protect (PR)

                Identity Management, Authentication and Access Control (
PR.AC)

Awareness and Training (PR.AT)

Data Security (PR.DS)

Information Protection Processes and Procedures (PR.IP)

Maintenance (PR.MA)

Protective Technology (PR.PT)

Detect (DE)

Anomalies and Events (DE.AE)