[cabf_netsec] SC20 and Adversarial Interpretation

Ben Wilson benwilsonusa at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 11:05:24 MST 2020

I think we can do some things (add language) to address Ryan's concern
about a CA weaseling around with the definition of change - as you
suggest.  We discussed that in the pain points subgroup this morning.

I think we should capitalize Change Management Process and define it.  We
made some steps in that direction too.

We could combine approaches to the wording of the definition until we're
happy with it.  Right now, it is proposed to say, " An established set of
steps followed to ensure that the intended system configuration and changes
to it have received appropriate levels of review and have been duly
authorized."

We could have it say alternatively,

“The process by which changes to an installation are implemented in a
systematic manner following a well-defined set of procedures.”

“A sequence of activities that are followed by a change management team to
use change management on a project to ensure that it meets the intended
outcome.”

“A control process designed to ensure that changes proposed are reviewed,
authorized, tested, implemented, and released in a controlled manner; and
that the status of each proposed change is monitored.”

 “The objective of change controls is to ensure that all changes to
software applications, database systems, and associated infrastructure
assets are properly authorized, documented, tested, approved, and
implemented into the production environment.”

“The purpose of change management is to ensure that the system components
used to deliver services are identified, recorded, and monitored so that
only authorized changes are applied.”

What do we say already about configuration management in the NCSSRs?  -  See

https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/SpecialPublications/NIST.SP.800-128.pdf

and https://fas.org/irp/nsa/rainbow/tg006.htm