[cabf_netsec] Minutes of Meeting 21-Feb-2019

Ben Wilson ben.wilson at digicert.com
Thu Feb 21 15:45:05 MST 2019

Here are my notes from today's meeting.  Please send me any corrections.

Minutes of NetSec Subcommittee Teleconference of 21-February-2019

Present:  Corey Chapeski, Tim Crawford, Patrick Milot, David Kluge, Robin Alden, Tobias Josefowitz, Ben Wilson, Fotis Loukos, Peter Miskovich, Trev Ponds, Nick Naziridis, Tim Hollebeek, Aaron Poulsen

Ben read the Antitrust Statement

Tobias provided a recap of the discussion during our last meeting about feedback from WebTrust on the NCSSRs (email from Tim Crawford of 5-Feb-2019)-some fundamental changes need to be done and there are also comments that relate to discreet things that could be changed.  Ben said that this was consistent with what we've discussed previously-there are macro issues and micro issues.

We took up the WebTrust Feedback and flagged the following as a "macro" issue - "The NSRs are highly prescriptive, which does not allow for implementation of controls based on the risk of the environment. A higher-level principle approach would allow for more flexible implementation based on the risk for each system component."  Tim C. noted that there are 4-5 groupings of systems and that with a more granular break-out there would be 10-12.  The current broad grouping approach leads to too broad of application of criteria to CAs.  Fotis suggested that we look at systems and the data flows to prepare threat analysis that we can address.  Trev suggested that we look at this in terms of system boundaries and then data flows.

Comments to Section 2k were discussed. It was felt that the section can be rephrased to eliminate specificity and remove the phrase "cannot be leveraged for a denial of service attack".  Trev, David and Ben will work on a ballot to address this issue.  Rewording could be something like "The CA SHALL implement reasonable measures to prevent unauthorized access to CA accounts, for example, limiting the number of failed access attempts, etc."

David asked about the objectives of the requirements-are we prioritizing quick fixes or macro change? There was general agreement that we could move forward with both approaches on parallel tracks.

Tim H. suggested that we add a section dealing with high level security objectives-the what and why of the Network Security Requirements.  Fotis suggested that we break out into subgroups and that one group work on the threat model. For example, one might identify unauthorized users getting access as a threat, and the security objective would be "unauthorized users cannot get access to CA systems."

Tobias was concerned that edits to the NCSSRs might cause compliance problems, but Dimitris said a new document with a good structure would be applauded. Fotis said a mapping document would help people make the transition.  It was decided to have a subgroup to discuss document organization and  structure.  PCI DSS might be a good model to follow.

The group discussed section 2.g. and passwords. Trev would like to address this-we shouldn't be prescriptive on 121-character passwords. Dimitris said that we need to segregate controls for offline vs. online CAs. Fotis said we should look at password entropy.  There was discussion about whether to reference external standards like NIST 800-63 or specify requirements. Tim H. suggested that we have at least one clear requirement, rather than merely reference NIST 800-63.  He recommended that we stick with password length as a clear requirement because that is currently the key requirement extrapolated out of NIST 800-63.

The meeting concluded by outlining the following subgroups:

Threat Modeling SubGroup -  Fotis and Nick (Trev, etc.)

Document Structure SubGroup - Ben and Tim H. (Dimitris, etc.)

Pain Points SubGroup - David and Tim C. (Corey C., etc.)

Authentication and Access Control SubGroup - Trev and Ben (Fotis, etc.)

Those interested in  participating in a particular subgroup should contact the people above.

Meeting adjourned.