[Infrastructure] GitHub Migration update
Jos Purvis (jopurvis)
jopurvis at cisco.com
Thu Nov 5 18:46:23 MST 2020
This sounds excellent! I'm happy to start digging into moving the issues into a Forum-wide Infra project so they can be tracked there. I'll probably work through that this weekend while I've got time.
Jos Purvis (jopurvis at cisco.com<mailto:jopurvis at cisco.com>)
.:|:.:|:. cisco systems | Cryptographic Services
PGP: 0xFD802FEE07D19105 | Controls & Trust Verification
From: Ryan Sleevi <sleevi at google.com>
Date: Wednesday, 4 November, 2020 at 17:52
To: "infrastructure at cabforum.org" <infrastructure at cabforum.org>
Cc: "Jos Purvis (jopurvis)" <jopurvis at cisco.com>, Wayne Thayer <wthayer at gmail.com>
Subject: GitHub Migration update
Following our call today, I think all of the non-destructive modifications are complete.
* https://github.com/cabforum/archive now exists as an archive of past activity. Jos has one pending change ( https://github.com/cabforum/archive/pull/1 ) and then we can go ahead and close that out
* https://github.com/cabforum/forum exists and contains the Bylaws and the charters. Per our conversation on Slack and the WebEx, as the charters are Forum-wide, they were moved here
* https://github.com/cabforum/code-signing contains the CSC CWG work (which was a transcribed copy of the BRs from a while ago). This likely needs a revamp/attention
* https://github.com/cabforum/smime exists, but contains nothing, as the SMC CWG has not adopted any documents yet
* https://github.com/cabforum/servercert - renamed from https://github.com/cabforum/documents (and all links updated)
* https://github.com/cabforum/servercert/pull/227 exists to remove the files now moved away, and update the build infrastructure accordingly
Can folks please check and make sure it looks good?
* Remove the old branches from cabforum/servercert
* Merge the PRs for archive/ and servercert/
* Move the "Infrastructure" project board from servercert to forum
* While we can transfer issues between projects and repositories, we can't easily move the Project itself over.
* Suggestion: Convert the tasks to issues (which we'd discussed previously), move the issues to cabforum/forum, and then re-create the Project board
* Owner: Jos: Are you good doing this?
* Work through the issues list to move issues as appropriate (e.g. infrastructure WG issues -> forum)
* Owner: I will start this, since I need to do it already for the SC31/SC35 changes, based on how they were merged in.
* A "tools" repository is not yet created
* I'm trying to work out creating a custom GitHub Action (that would live in a cabforum/ repository) that can be 'easily' integrated into our other repositories as a "Build with Pandoc and attach pretty artifacts". This is to allow a lot of the common pieces, like the style and templates, to be managed centrally, as well as support the "Build on pull request" flow we talked about.
* The goal is to make it entirely self-contained, as it (briefly) once was, so folks can easily build locally (e.g. via Docker) or by simply editing through GitHub (including in their own forks/repositories), and getting pretty things produced.
* Owner: I'm working on this, but I'm not sure it will happen within the next 3 weeks. That "should" be fine though?
* Permissions cleanup and management
* This is about making sure each CWG can independently manage their documents, and setting up good defaults to help those teams succeed
* Done: Ensure that merge commits are disabled; only Squash-and-Merge is allowed.
* Setting up a "Team" per CWG with that CWGs members, to ensure contributions are from Members of that CWG
* Setting up a "Team" per CWG for that CWG's Chair/Vice-Chair
* Adding Repository Protection for the "main" branch of each repository to ensure that the CWG Chair/Vice-Chair Team have approved a Pull Request before Merging
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Infrastructure