[Infrastructure] Trouble creating a "clean redline" for Forum-12 [Was: Trouble preparing pull request for SC25]

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon May 4 09:32:55 MST 2020

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 12:26 PM Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) <
dzacharo at harica.gr> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Then I made several commits updating the Bylaws on this branch and
>> created a new pull request against my own repo (
>> https://github.com/dzacharo/documents/pull/2).
>>
>> Now it's time to create an immutable redline so I followed  the compare
>> instructions, using the last commit of the official repo (
>> https://github.com/cabforum/documents/commit/fc63be73323195abc4e462708ca0385e37b7043d)
>> and the last commit from my local branch with the bylaws changes (
>> https://github.com/dzacharo/documents/commit/a94d136c6ddbd0024e9bdc70785aa71f1e2f6753
>> )
>>

> Because of the above, you effectively "forked" from the official repo at
> the point you did your merge - to the official Repo, it's a series of
> several distinct commits, while in your Repo, it's only a single commit.
>
> Now, while the effective state of the repos (the last commit of official,
> the last commit *before* your changes) should be identical in content,
> they're not identical in hashes, hence the issue you see. However, if they
> really are identical (and I've not confirmed), then the answer is make your
> immutable diff from (the last commit from the official repo in *your*
> branch) to (the last commit of your changes).
>
> This is
> https://github.com/cabforum/documents/compare/740e4b1be75a2c3468c8448cb7cdf9dff10bc69f..a94d136c6ddbd0024e9bdc70785aa71f1e2f6753#diff-c2f0349076f544cc0e9f059f30f21a85 (that
> is, starting with your
> https://github.com/dzacharo/documents/commit/740e4b1be75a2c3468c8448cb7cdf9dff10bc69f
>  )
>
> That's still immutable, and in theory can be cleanly applied against
> upstream.
>
> This is super-easy to fix on the command-line, similar to Doug's change
> (as was before), because the patch file
> <https://github.com/cabforum/documents/compare/740e4b1be75a2c3468c8448cb7cdf9dff10bc69f..a94d136c6ddbd0024e9bdc70785aa71f1e2f6753.patch> can
> be easily downloaded and applied to a 'clean' repository to create the pull
> request.
>
> It's unclear what you'd like to do here, so I'm holding off on offering
> solutions. I could easily create a PR with "just" your commits in my
> branch, I could help you get your 'master' repository back to a clean slate
> and rebase your branch on-top of it (a bit more involved, but preserves
> exact commits), or you could just create a second fork from a clean slate
> and apply the delta of changes. Lots of options here, but in all scenarios,
> all of your data is preserved, nothing is lost or messed up, and we've got
> an unambiguous recoverable trail of your edits :)
>

> Thank you so much for the explanation. Makes a lot more sense now. I will
> update the instructions to highlight that we should not "squash and merge"
> when we sync between repos. However, but we should "squash and merge" when
> merging the final pull request to master, right?

Right! That's the tricky part - downstream forks should always 'merge
commit' from upstream, but ideally, upstream will 'squash and merge' from
downstream.

> Since we have an immutable version and the ballot is now in the discussion
> period, I think I will leave it as is, and if there is feedback that will
> result in making further edits (which will inevitably produce a different
> GitHub redline URL, I will create a second fork from the official repo,
> apply the patch file, add the extra commits related to the discussion
> period and create a new immutable redline.

Yup. Note that if you're comfortable in the command-line, "git apply-patch"
will preserve all of your commit history. But we can see what comments come
up then.