[Infrastructure] Reviving SC26 (Pandoc-Friendly Formatting)

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Mar 16 06:43:01 MST 2020

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 8:17 AM Ben Wilson <benwilsonusa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have the documents that Jos sent open in Acrobat (.pdf), Word (.docx),
> Firefox (.html), and Typora (.md from GitHub).
>
> Is there anything I can do to help?  Is there anything I should look at
> specifically?

I think the two main things:
- Are there visual issues or conversion artifacts that should be corrected
(e.g. the discussion about SC27's ASN.1 being mangled in the markdown)
- Are there changes to the doc that were missed (e.g. how a portion of SC24
was missed)

Beyond having an extra set of eyes, no, I think that's it.

> Also, I notice that the .md and .html versions have a lot of HTML metadata
> (shown with Typora/Firefox, but not readily shown in Word/Acrobat or online
> GitHub).

Could you clarify what you mean by "HTML metadata"? Do you mean things like
links? Or something else?

> I apologize if you've already discussed this, what is the recommended
> document-production flow? Which one is the source? What processes run in
> the background?  I think I'm missing some pieces of the puzzle.

The proposal is to make the .md canonical, and allow the production of
.docx / .pdf / .html to be automatically done.

Phase 1 of integration (which is "done", more or less) has this conversion
done every commit
Phase 2 of integration (which is not yet started) would have this done
roughly on the creation of a new Pull Request, and also create diffs/red
lines.