[Infrastructure] Trouble preparing pull request for SC25

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Wed Mar 4 10:27:20 MST 2020

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 1:14 AM Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) <
dzacharo at harica.gr> wrote:

> [...]
>

> On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 2:37 PM Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) <
> dzacharo at harica.gr> wrote:
>

>> I am having some difficulties preparing a pull request to add
>> https://github.com/dougbeattie/documents/commit/bb90ff37c4bc043636229138d992
>> 3fcff670cdfc#diff-7f6d14a20e7f3beb696b45e1bf8196f2
>> <https://github.com/dougbeattie/documents/commit/bb90ff37c4bc043636229138d9923fcff670cdfc#diff-7f6d14a20e7f3beb696b45e1bf8196f2>
>>
>> to cabforum/documents.
>>
>> I tried
>> https://github.com/cabforum/documents/compare/master...dougbeattie:bb90ff37c4bc043636229138d9923fcff670cdfc
>>
>> but this adds a lot more changes than just 3.2.2.4.18 and 3.2.2.4.19.
>>
>> Can anyone assist with this? I wanted to create a pull request, add a
>> commit with the information for tables, etc and have someone review it
>> before merge to master.
>>

> Yup. Now you see why I wanted to streamline the process :)
>
> https://github.com/cabforum/documents/pull/162
>
> The pull request process is messy because Doug's version of the cabforum
> repository has gotten out of sync.
>

> https://github.com/dougbeattie/documents/commit/bb90ff37c4bc043636229138d9923fcff670cdfc.patch
> - you can see that's Doug's commit (and exactly what was voted on)
>
> I did this via the command line. Normally, this wouldn't be necessary, but
> the wonky state of Doug's repository made it the easiest path forward :)
>
> (I made sure my repository and upstream are in sync and w/ no unnecessary
> edits)
> # Create a new branch for working on Doug's change
> $ git checkout -b dougs_change master
> # Download Doug's patch
> $ wget
> https://github.com/dougbeattie/documents/commit/bb90ff37c4bc043636229138d9923fcff670cdfc.patch
> # Apply it to my repository
> $ git am bb90ff37c4bc043636229138d9923fcff670cdfc.patch
> # Cleanup the temp file; making this an explicit step just so my process
> is easily understandable :P
> $ rm bb90ff37c4bc043636229138d9923fcff670cdfc.patch
> # From my workstation, push my branch "dougs_change" to a remote branch
> called "2020-03-03-SC25" in the "origin" repository (which is what I named
> my copy on GitHub)
> $ git push origin dougs_change:2020-03-03-SC25
>
> Opened the above PR.
>
> You can compare the redline by looking at
> https://patch-diff.githubusercontent.com/raw/cabforum/documents/pull/162.patch and
> comparing that with Doug's original patch. For example, diffnow.com will
> let you compare by URLs, or you can compare those patch files.
>
> Enjoy! :)
>

> I certainly enjoy learning about all this and hopefully will be able to
> help documenting an update process!
>
> I'm wondering what would be the best way to make the necessary
> modifications (versions, table, etc). There is no way for me to commit to
> your branch and add this to the pull request, so at this point, I could

Are you sure? Have you tried editing via the pull request?

Commits from maintainers into the pull request are permitted. If you're a
maintainer of cabforum/documents (and you should be), then you should be
able to view the files on the PR and edit directly, commiting directly to
my branch or creating your own copy.

Did you try that?