[Infrastructure] Minutes of Meeting: 2020-12-16

Ben Wilson bwilson at mozilla.com
Wed Dec 16 17:11:13 UTC 2020

Here are the minutes from today's call.

12/16/2020 Minutes

Attendees:  Corey Bonnell, Jos Purvis, Ryan Sleevi, Ben Wilson, Wayne
Thayer, Dean Coclin, Dimitris Zacharopoulos,

Antitrust Statement read by Jos

1.       Meeting Series – Jos will send out a new series of calendar
invites for 2021, starting with our next meeting on January 13, 2021

2.       GitHub – Support for redlines has landed in experimental mode.
Ryan will work on Pandoc cleanup process. Action needed to assign Forum and
Server Cert code owners. Tooling is moving forward on schedule.

3.       Mailer migration issues?  It seems like everything is working.
Also, Jos was able to invite this list to the meeting from the WebEx
interface. (Meeting invites should be sent to management lists and not be
sent to a public lists).

4.       Membership management – Wayne has developed a Google form. He
believes it is ready to publish, but he needs to check on a few things
first.  Q: How do we get this out and into use? Where can a link to it be
placed? Dean: What happens when it is completed? Wayne: It goes to a
database and could be emailed. Dean: there is a lot of backend work for
updating other data. Ryan: Some of these issues are discussed in the
minutes from the meeting two meetings ago. We’ll need to develop tooling to
propagate the data to various locations, e.g., the mailer, etc.  Jos: For
the mailer, the authentication mechanisms aren’t the best. One possibility
is to run scripts on the common server. There are plug-ins for LDAP or
Active Directory, too. Ryan: Let’s see what we can do to keep it simple
with the tooling we have using scripts. Jos: We need to anticipate
personnel turnover so tooling should be tracked on GitHub. Ryan: Yes, but
not the secrets. We can still manage the data with clicks. Jos: Often the
requests come in waves as new members join, and changes also happen when
one person leaves and is replaced by another person. Wayne: The
time-consuming part is managing the mailing lists – adding and removing
people from lists. Ryan: It would be good to have “sync” buttons. Wayne:
Scripting will help. Jos: And for some membership changes we currently have
4 or 5 people that have to interact with the various resources. Dean: And
remember that we need to send out calendar invites, too.  Jos: I don’t know
if there is an API for this. Ryan: This can be automated with meeting
invites. Wayne and Jos: New members can be directed to the wiki for
self-serve calendar invites. Jos: Stephen has a boilerplate template
directing new members of the SMIME WG on what they need to do.

NEXT ACTIONS:

1- Wayne will look at Google forms database and email triggers (you’ll have
to subscribe to follow changes to the data);

2- Next Meeting - Organize to-do items (not just in the minutes) structured
for project management (for prioritization, who is working on it, etc.) in
a Google Doc with a link to it recorded on the Wiki page (reference the
management procedural guidance that Dimitris developed) -
https://wiki.cabforum.org/infra/member-rep-modification-request and
https://wiki.cabforum.org/infra/start#high-level_goals.  Meanwhile, we’ll
use Etherpad to collect our thoughts.