[Infrastructure] GitHub unintended consequences and triggering artifact generation

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Aug 20 11:07:00 MST 2020

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 11:56 AM Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) <
dzacharo at harica.gr> wrote:

> I followed
>
> https://wiki.cabforum.org/github_redline_guide#chair_or_vice_chairactions_after_the_ipr_review_period
> for SC30 and SC31 based on the existing pull request and review
> (https://github.com/cabforum/documents/pull/203).

The process had a step to delete the temporary branch
> (Ballot-SC30-and-31), which I did. Unfortunately, this also closed
> https://github.com/cabforum/documents/pull/207 because it was depending
> on the temporary branch Ballot-SC30-and-31.
>
> Ryan, is this something you can fix?

Yes, it's no big deal and what I expected to happen.

> We should probably update the
> instructions accordingly.

For what? I used a non-standard approach that intentionally isn't
documented to begin with ;-)

I think we likely want to focus our documentation on common, normal flows
intended for those not wanting to learn Git or GitHub (totally
understandable) or the Chair and Vice-Chair to produce results, and don't
need to try to document every scenario or use case. Weird edge cases (like
where I've created multiple branches to show in-progress stuff) is
something I think we can and should deal with on an ad-hoc basis, because
it's rare, exceptional, and trying to document all the edge cases just
introduces more room for failure.

> I also went to download the artifacts
> (
> https://cabforum-travis-artifacts.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/builds/main/BR.docx)
>
> after the merge, but they were not updated according to the last
> commits. I assume that the artifacts are created the first time you
> create the pull request and not when you add commits to that pull
> request afterwards. Is that correct?

No. The artifacts are generated for every commit.

It's not clear to me what you're describing, so hopefully you can clarify.
The URL you linked is only updated after you merge the commit. If you want
to view commits as you add them to the PR, before it is merged, the link is
to the branch name - e.g.
https://cabforum-travis-artifacts.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/builds/Ballot-SC30-and-31/BR.docx

If you added commits to the branch after you merged, and did not merge
those, don't do that, that's not part of any documented instruction :)

> What would be the best way to generate these artifacts now? We probably
> need to update the workflow to include steps to create the artifacts
> after the last merge.

Doubtful! It's probably just that you didn't let the update process
complete :)

https://travis-ci.org/github/cabforum/documents/builds/719653438 shows it
took 2 minutes and 6 seconds to generate the artifacts. Did you try to view
immediately after committing, and before 2 minutes and 6 seconds had passed?

This is one of those things that is in the file of "improvements to
consider" (switching to GitHub actions
<https://github.com/cabforum/documents/projects/1#card-41784176>, so it
adds the UI signals).