[Infrastructure] Wiki and Markdown

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Tue Jun 18 08:01:44 MST 2019

Yeah. I tried to spend more time today looking into it.

The CKEditor remains the default view, and it looks like there's a
configuration setting -
https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:ckgedit:configuration - needed to allow
users to set a personal default when editing pages.

In the "current" (I guess now fixed?) flow, I would need to click DWEdit to
get the old text-based edit, and the default was CKEdit. Going to DWEdit
certainly makes it MUCH better, but...

When switching between CKEdit and DWEdit to try and correct things, it
resolved the issues with list indentation complexity (it goes back to
editing # of spaces, rather than munging ULs/LIs), but it was clear that
when someone "paste from word" into the document, it preserves all of the
font settings on that, and adds a series of dokuwiki font tags for each
paragraph as they're edited (which then CKEdit translates into the nested
spans to set font).

I cleaned up the minutes using DWEdit to edit the markdown, and removed the
extraneous font tags. Removing those also caused CKEdit to resolve and no
longer show the spans.

In looking at the past revisions through DWEdit's lens, it's clear that the
CKEdit flow definitely made it harder to ensure things like header ordering
was correct (I've since corrected it, so we can have a TOC that matches the
agenda), but I'm sure for members, it was easier to use.

Knowing the flow allows for switching between things, I think some of the
open questions:
1) Do we want to allow CKEdit in addition to DWEdit?
2) Do we want to configure it to allow users to set their defaults?
3) Should we configure defaults one way or the other for users (i.e. should
you start with DWEdit vs CKEdit?)
4) Do we want to clean up CKEdit-provided changes using DWEdit-tools?
  a) By CWG/Subcommittee?
  b) Only for minutes (i.e. things we'll take from Dokuwiki and post
publicly)
  c) Other?

I'm perfectly fine with taking time to get this right, and if we want to
make it friendliest for everyone, then I'm happy to deal with
1) Yes
2) Either (preference: yes)
3) We can paint that bikeshed later; I suspect DWEdit is close enough to
our old wiki that folks can get by, but we know I'm a poor judge of what's
reasonable for members of the Forum ;)
4.a) Punt till later
4.b) I'm sure we all can clean anything up prior to the Chair/Vice-chair
publishing the minutes for F2F 47