[Infrastructure] Proposal: Collaboration Toolset

Jos Purvis (jopurvis) jopurvis at cisco.com
Tue Jul 9 13:35:49 MST 2019

So, now that I’ve thoroughly embarrassed myself for one day, let me throw out a proposal that occurred to me during the last CABF. :)

There was discussion during the meeting of the use of tools like Etherpad to take minutes, providing a collaborative, real-time opportunity for those present to review and correct minutes information—this would potentially lead to faster review-and-approval cycles for minutes. In addition, there have been a couple discussions in different contexts about the use of tools like Slack for Working Groups, since this might lead to a loss of IP-related information from discussions.

Since we have the ability to host additional services through AWS, I had considered starting up instances of a couple tools:
Nextcloud (nextcloud.org) is a free and open-source tool that provides document storage, as well as collaborative tools such as Etherpad-like collaborative note editing. This might encourage groups to store working copies of documents in a server the CABF maintains, as well as offering the above-noted collaborative minute-taking.
Mattermost (mattermost.org) is a free, open-source Slack alternative that provides strong encryption with unlimited channel-logging, allowing for Working Groups to collaborate without loss of IP-related details.

I’m not proposing these as any sort of required solution, mind you; I’m just wondering whether there’s interest in having them available for use.

--
Jos Purvis (jopurvis at cisco.com)
.:|:.:|:. cisco systems  | Cryptographic Services