[Infrastructure] Draft Minutes - 2019-12-18 Meeting

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Thu Dec 19 11:13:08 MST 2019

On 2019-12-18 9:01 μ.μ., Jos Purvis (jopurvis) wrote:

> Amendment—hit send too early. Updated version:
>
> Minutes of 2019-12-18 Meeting
>
> Present: Jos, Ryan, Wayne
>
>  1. Anti-trust statement
>  2. Pandoc Updates
>       * Pending approval of PRs for 23,24

The review period is over. I published the new documents and I am
waiting for a typical review of the two pull requests

  * https://github.com/cabforum/documents/pull/145
  * https://github.com/cabforum/documents/pull/144

I will then need to add some missing information (version numbers and
tables), resolve any "conflicts" (because at some point I think both
pull requests "touch" the same section) and then merge them.

If anyone wants to propose a step-by-step guide on doing this
(especially resolution of conflicts), it would be great.

>      *
>

>       * Should discuss this on the next Forum call: Having PRs wait on
>         the 30-day IPR period means everything slows down.
>
> Problem summary: If I want to create a new ballot PR, how do I know
> all the things I need to account for when generating my changes?
>
> We can solve this with technical solutions:
>
>   * Create a dev branch that reflects all pending-but-not-IPR-approved
>     changes; base any new ballots on that
>   * Use git tags to indicate branches or pulls that incorporate other
>     things (e.g. “ballot-XX-if-YY-passes”)
>
> Need to make sure that we keep the process as beginner-friendly as
> possible, however, to avoid gatekeeping ballot production. On the
> other hand, we do have the option of saying, “Here’s the process, if
> you need help with it because you’re doing something odd, here are the
> ninjas to contact for help.”
>
> Remember that these problems really only occur when two ballots are
> touching the same part of the same document (so the routine cleanup
> ballots run afoul of this, but most other ballots don’t). Also
> remember: These are problems endemic to the process, not the tools.
> (That is, git ain't the problem here.)
>
> Action: Jos will rebase Pandoc on ballot 24 changes and push ballot
> out to start discussion sooner but finish the discussion period well
> into the new year, so people have time to review the changes.
>
>  3. Membership Tools:
>       * Need at least a tentative proposal for the next F2F?
>       * Need mapping of people to member-companies to membership and
>         participation approvals (ideally, self-manageable by members)
>
>       * What are all of our user management activities? What are all
>         the places where user information is stored? Need to survey
>         Dimitris et al. for this.

I have created and use the following spreadsheet for new Members:

  * https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ayGAM80rUTlccsX5F-zxuUks6jftBsqVi3Vll0er1Z0/edit#gid=0

All information for Member Representatives is maintained in

  * https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LIXw9AAbfGfrJODnRK7tzhsSllVA1G3Rvxwv3Z8Cx4w/edit#gid=302204773

Sorry for missing the last couple of infrastructure calls.

Dimitris.