[Infrastructure] Draft Minutes - 2019-12-18 Meeting

Jos Purvis (jopurvis) jopurvis at cisco.com
Wed Dec 18 12:01:38 MST 2019

Amendment—hit send too early. Updated version:

Minutes of 2019-12-18 Meeting
Present: Jos, Ryan, Wayne

  1.  Anti-trust statement
  2.  Pandoc Updates
     *   Pending approval of PRs for 23,24
     *   Should discuss this on the next Forum call: Having PRs wait on the 30-day IPR period means everything slows down.
Problem summary: If I want to create a new ballot PR, how do I know all the things I need to account for when generating my changes?
We can solve this with technical solutions:

  *   Create a dev branch that reflects all pending-but-not-IPR-approved changes; base any new ballots on that
  *   Use git tags to indicate branches or pulls that incorporate other things (e.g. “ballot-XX-if-YY-passes”)
Need to make sure that we keep the process as beginner-friendly as possible, however, to avoid gatekeeping ballot production. On the other hand, we do have the option of saying, “Here’s the process, if you need help with it because you’re doing something odd, here are the ninjas to contact for help.”
Remember that these problems really only occur when two ballots are touching the same part of the same document (so the routine cleanup ballots run afoul of this, but most other ballots don’t). Also remember: These are problems endemic to the process, not the tools. (That is, git ain't the problem here.)
Action: Jos will rebase Pandoc on ballot 24 changes and push ballot out to start discussion sooner but finish the discussion period well into the new year, so people have time to review the changes.

  1.  Membership Tools:
     *   Need at least a tentative proposal for the next F2F?
     *   Need mapping of people to member-companies to membership and participation approvals (ideally, self-manageable by members)

     *   What are all of our user management activities? What are all the places where user information is stored? Need to survey Dimitris et al. for this.
     *   Conclusion: we need to understand what all the things are that we do to manage membership and where that information is stored. Then we can examine it holistically to identify potential ways to centralize and manage better.
     *   Action: Jos to survey people for where we have membership information and our current processes.

--
Jos Purvis (jopurvis at cisco.com<mailto:jopurvis at cisco.com>)
.:|:.:|:. cisco systems  | Cryptographic Services