[Infrastructure] Baseline Requirements - Markdown Output

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Tue Nov 27 10:27:49 MST 2018

Thanks Ben. I see you merged it in to master already.

If you were doing that to preview changes, there's an easier way to do
that, before committing. If you look at that URL with the PDF, you'll see
the word "master", which refers to the "master" branch. When you made your
edits, you created a new branch called "Footnote-and-Indenting-Change" (
https://github.com/cabforum/documents/tree/Footnote-and-Indenting-Change )
and a new Pull Request ( https://github.com/cabforum/documents/pull/118 ).

When you created the Branch, you'll see that Travis CI kicked off (it's the
little green arrow next to the commit on that second page). Because it
completed, a preview of your change was available at
https://cabforum-travis-artifacts.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/builds/Footnote-and-Indenting-Change/BR.pdf

Note how the word "master" has changed to the name of your branch
("Footnote-and-Indenting-Change") in that third URL.

This is how you can preview any of the changes you're making on a branch,
as you're making them. This will hopefully allow easier feedback and making
more comprehensive changes.

One other note, since I saw something quirky about your change - when
merging, you probably want to do "Squash and Merge" instead of "Merge".
https://help.github.com/articles/merging-a-pull-request/ shows how to
select "Squash and Merge" in the interface, with more technical details at
https://help.github.com/articles/about-pull-request-merges/ if you care how
Git/GitHub work. The TL;DR: is that "Squash and Merge" lets you change a
bunch of tiny commits into one 'logical' commit. This is particularly
useful when you're trying to accomplish one 'logical' thing, but may
require several cycles of edit-commit-preview to make sure it's looking
like you'd like. You can make a bunch of those tiny changes, and then just
do "Squash and Merge" at the end to make them a single commit (i.e. "Fix
indenting").

Hope this all helps!