[cabf_governance] Ballot 206 and documents

Dimitris Zacharopoulos jimmy at it.auth.gr
Tue Feb 6 10:46:14 MST 2018

On 6/2/2018 7:27 μμ, Tim Hollebeek wrote:

> I think this is the correct interpretation.
>

> It’s similar to the current situation, where if you issue server
> certificates that are only trusted by Joe’s Hobby Browser, you are not
> a CA for server certificates.
>

> I think other working groups should work similarly, so yes, if you are
> not trusted by a Certificate Consumer Member, you are not a CA for
> that WG.

So, to bootstrap a WG, you would need to have at least one "Certificate
Consumer Member" and then start adding CAs that produce Certificates
that are trusted by this "Certificate Consumer Member". In other words,
even if there is a widely used Application Software Supplier out there
that offers a product for the general public but is not a "Certificate
Consumer Member", you can't add a CA as a Member :)

Dimitris.