[cabf_governance] Preliminary Work on Governance Models

Ben Wilson ben.wilson at digicert.com
Mon May 16 11:24:59 MST 2016

Prior to our face-to-face meeting next week, I think we have some
preliminary matters that we should consider.

For instance, do members prefer that the  CA/B Forum remain the umbrella
organization (if we're going to have an umbrella organization).

Or should a new umbrella organization be created?  Consider these two
diagrams:

The names are just placeholders.  Do we want to use "Forum", "Working
Group," "Standing Committee", "Subcommittee", "Technical Committee", etc?

Should governance policies/procedures be documented outside of the Bylaws in
a document titled "Rules of Association", "Operating Procedures", or
similar?

Should the umbrella organization have a Board of Directors/Trustees,
Steering Committee, Leadership/Management Council, or similar?  If so,
should there be two such upper-level bodies (Board and a Council) with
differing responsibilities?

One reason for the approach taken above is that I am assuming we want
committee/group structures with the ability of each committee/group to have
a different IPR Policy.   Thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Ben