[Cscwg-public] [EXTERNAL] Re: Discussion: Proposed Ballot CSC-6: Update to Subscriber Private Key Protection Requirements

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Thu Nov 18 17:03:31 UTC 2021

On 18/11/2021 4:09 μ.μ., Bruce Morton wrote:

> Hi Dimitris,
>
> I don’t accept that IT audit will not be used. The reason is that the
> ballot will remove software keys from non-EV code signing
> certificates. This is a new requirement and will impact the majority
> of the certificates and the Subscribers. In addition, there was no
> requirement to check how Subscriber keys were generated or non-EV code
> signing certificates, another new requirement.

This is confusing. We had this language for EV Code Signing Certificates
and nobody was using it. How would it be used for non-ev code signing
certificates?

> I don’t think that a CA or Qualified Auditor can audit a bank of HSMs
> in production, HA and DR modes for all the keys which a software
> developer will need for the next undefined period of time. They can
> only look at the past. I understand that you can ship a token with
> more than one key, but the HSM might have thousands or millions of
> keys required for generation on-demand.

Ok, so you are thinking of a Subscriber that owns an HSM and gets an IT
audit that has an audit report that asserts that all Keys associated
with Code Signing Certificates are generated in an on-prem certified
HSM. Is this what this method is supposed to cover?

> Option 5 Cloud-based protection is NOT Option 7 Signing Service
> protection. Cloud-based protection will allow a Subscriber to use an
> HSM from AWS. Signing Service protection has many requirements in the
> CSBRs, which currently includes an audit report. I assume that a CA
> will provide a Signing Service or could be similar to a TSP providing
> QSCD key generation and signing.
>
> Option 5 states, “The Subscriber provides a suitable report from the
> cloud-based key protection solution subscription and resources
> configuration protecting the private key in a suitable hardware crypto
> module meeting the requirements specified in section 16.3.1.” This is
> essentially a subscription agreement and not an audit report.

This "subscription agreement" has absolutely no assurances about
anything. Any company could suggest they are a "cloud-based" provider
with no audits and no assurances but would have a "subscription
agreement". Would CAs accept that?

We can discuss more on the call today.

Dimitris.