[Servercert-wg] SC-065: Convert EVGs into RFC 3647 format pre-ballot

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Fri Dec 1 18:03:50 UTC 2023

Hi Tim,

None of the IETF standards set policy unless they are invited by some
policy authority :) The BRs set such policy and "import" some documents,
such as RFC 5280, 3647 and others.

The BRs in section 1.1 state:

> These Requirements do not address all of the issues relevant to the
> issuance and management of Publicly-Trusted Certificates. In
> accordance with RFC 3647 and to facilitate a comparison of other
> certificate policies and CPSs (e.g. for policy mapping), this document
> includes all sections of the RFC 3647 framework. However, rather than
> beginning with a "no stipulation" comment in all empty sections, the
> CA/Browser Forum is leaving such sections initially blank until a
> decision of "no stipulation" is made

In addition, section 2.2 states (emphasis added):

> The Certificate Policy and/or Certification Practice Statement MUST be
> structured in accordance with RFC 3647 and *MUST include all material
> required by RFC 3647*.

If you go back to the discussions when the CA/B Forum decide to align
with the "RFC 3647 format", we agreed to include each and every section
of the outline as a minimum set.

MRSP states in section 3.3 (5) (again, emphasis added):

> 5. all CPs, CPSes, and combined CP/CPSes MUST be structured according
> to RFC 3647 and MUST:
>
>     - include *at least every section and subsection defined in RFC 3647*;
>     - only use the words "No Stipulation" to mean that the particular
> document imposes no requirements related to that section; and
>     - contain no sections that are blank and have no subsections;

So, with all that considered, when we visit section 6 of RFC 3647
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc3647#section-6> ("the
outline"), the expectation is to include each and every section and
subsection of the outline (up to three levels).

CAs are free to add MORE sections and subsections as they desire, just
like the BRs have done, but we can't escape or "hijack" an existing RFC
3647 section number. The outline contains a specific section labeled as
"3.2.1  Method to prove possession of private key". That means we cannot
re-use the number 3.2.1 for something else.

I hope this sounds reasonable to people.

Dimitris.