[cabf_validation] Validation methods used for Wildcards/ADNs

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Wed Feb 3 19:59:57 UTC 2021

Ryan,

There’s a discussion about DNS delegation and the dangers CA could get into if they behave inappropriately here:

https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.dev.security.policy/c/lT0Dd9XkPwI/m/TRFhrX52AAAJ

If we can come up with some guidance or new method that enables CA/hosting providers/other 3rd parties to publish the random values in the CNAMed destination without introducing massive security problems, then we have a method that we can provide customers to ease the deprecation of the HTTP method.  Basically, for a specific customer account within a specific CA, they can create a subdomain CNAME to a DNS zone controlled by the CA and the domain will never expire for them (for their account), until such time that they migrate from that CA or change accounts.  The CA need to check that the request coming in is from the that account (Applicant) for this to work.  That’s really automated and customer friendly.  This type of method gets us closer to your stated ultimate goal of doing domain validation every week/day/issuance.

Is that all we need to say on this topic?  Unlikely…

Doug